Head of Biotech Community
Who We Are
Pillar VC is a venture capital firm based in Boston investing in companies at formation and seed stage with $350 million under management. We believe VC doesn’t have to be the darkside — we’re happy to own common stock, the same security as the founders we back, and we’re committed to helping founders develop as leaders.
Pillar VC is currently investing out of a $192 million Fund 3, of which approximately $60M is dedicated to investments in biotech companies. Our biotech investments include companies across therapeutics, analytics, data, and synthetic biology like Asimov, PathAI, Kula Bio, GRO Biosciences, Matterworks, GALY, New Equilibrium, Modern Synthesis and Compound Foods.
Many of the most important problems in the next 20 years are biological problems. Today we are at an inflection point: we are rapidly gaining the ability to read and write biology at every level. Yet, while we have seen large capital inflows to biotech, company formation has not kept pace with VC dollars available to invest. Instead, more and more capital aggregates in a small number of companies. We believe we can change this — by investing in founder-led biotech companies.
In addition to biotech, we back unstoppable founders across crypto, deep enterprise SaaS and university spinouts. We’re proud investors in companies including PillPack, Desktop Metal, Hometap, Jellyfish, Zapata, Higharc, Sofar Sounds, Asimov, and PathAI.
Beyond capital, our team brings deep operating experience to each investment we make. We provide guidance from over 40 CEOs who are the co-founders of our firm and have built unicorn companies including Wayfair, DraftKings, Ginkgo Bioworks, PillPack and Demandware. We’re often the first-capital-in, surrounding founders with support in the form of talent recruitment, CEO coaching, customer introductions, PR, peer communities and more.
To learn more about Pillar and how we support our companies, please click here.
Our Bio team
Who You Are
A qualified candidate may exude all or some of these qualities:
- You thrive on building new relationships, and are a constant presence at events and in online forums. You enjoy connecting with people and hearing their stories.
- You have a voracious appetite for researching and learning new things; your curiosity constantly leads you to new ideas and new people.
- You’re able to work independently developing new ideas, conducting research, and sharing what you learn with others.
- You are energized by creating unique and memorable events that enable people to build relationships through shared experiences.
- You are extremely well organized, seamlessly keeping track of deadlines and projects.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, and are always ready for the next challenge.
as A Pillar Vc Head of Biotech Community
- Cultivate Pillar VC’s biotech community, building relationships with founders, senior leaders, and experts who can help accelerate the development of new companies.
- Leverage marketing tools and automation to engage and nurture our community, identifying relevant content and events for individuals.
- Support the marketing and execution of Frequency Bio, a flexible and free virtual program for founders and future founders building biotech companies.
- Develop approaches and tools to help biotech founders share resources, talent, and information across our portfolio.
- Manage a Northeastern Co-op student who will help coordinate and execute marketing and event logistics.
- Drive our biotech event strategy, helping to develop and execute summits and events that connect and engage our community. Work with our Designer & Developer to develop key marketing assets for events.
- Develop a plan for a three-day in-person summit that gathers 100 leaders for conversations about life, leadership, and the future of biotech.
- Host The Wave, a global virtual summit for women in biotech. Identify topics of interest, research and recruit speakers, develop sessions and workshops, create a marketing plan, and coordinate event logistics.
- Craft a strategy to support our annual biotech summit, choosing relevant themes and speakers, and developing creative event formats.
Our Biotech Portfolio
Asimov is developing a mammalian synthetic biology platform — from cells to software — to enable biotechnologies with outsized impact, with an initial focus on gene therapies, cell therapies, and protein therapeutics.Read MoreAlec Nielsen, Founder & CEO of Asimov
We’re driven to make bold bets and accomplish ambitious goals as a team, while maintaining a playful approach to our work.
We bring integrity and authenticity to our relationships with each other and our community, believing trust is the foundation for happy relationships.
We embrace a growth mindset, adapting as we learn to ensure that we remain at the frontier of new opportunities.
- Highly competitive salary
- Flexible WFH policy
- We cover 100% of health and dental insurance (plus some of your deductible)
We encourage underrepresented candidates to apply.
This is a full-time position based in Boston, MA.